Because there are few instances where 2 great things come together, and this is one of them. I recommend crushed tortilla chips, or tamale crust, like a cornmeal for the crust, but the whole thing is just awesome. I like tacos, and tamales, and I LOVE pie, so this is a no-brainer.
Here is for all the new FANS. Our most popular recipe! TACO PIE! Yum!
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup milk
1 package Taco Bell seasoning mix
2 1/2 cups mashed potato flakes (you could also use left over mashed potatoes and omit the butter and milk)
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Sour cream, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Add milk and 2 tablespoon taco seasoning. Remove from heat and add potato flakes until incorporated. Press mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch pan.
2. Bake for 7-10 minutes until it just BARELY turns golden brown.
3. In a medium skillet, cook beef and onions until beef is browned and cooked through. Drain. Add Salsa and remaining taco seasoning. Cook until bubbly.
4. Pour into crust. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes. Top with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. Cut and serve with sour cream.
March 21, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Sounds great. I actually have a Taco Pie recipe that uses croissant dough for the crust, so it’s got a sweeter taste.
March 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
that sounds really good! I haven’t made this particular recipe, but i like its simpleness. I really just wanted to change up what was happening in my blog, a little something to disturb the rhythm 🙂
March 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Recipes are always a great way to switch things up.
March 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM
i have two teenage boys – both are foodies, both love Mexican food and both who would dig this recipe! Thanks for posting and thank you for following my blog. 🙂
March 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM
my foody-ism isnt reflected in my blog, but I am one also. And it is my pleasure to follow your blog, and than you for following, and commenting on mine
March 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM
April 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Awsome!!!! I make a jalapeno sauce to put over anything. The jalapeno gives a flavor unsurpassed:
1-2 Jalapeno depending on hotness liked, 2 cups water, 2-3 tbsp. cornstarch to thicken depending on how thick you like, a little kitchen bouquet for color, garlic powder and salt. Fabulous!!!!! Wonderful Bean soup: 2-5 jalapeno to desired hotness, 2-4 quarts water, garlic powder to taste, 2-4 cans refried beans to thickness desired, salt, let set overnight for best flavor, Yummmmm on a cold day!!!!!!!
April 25, 2013 at 12:56 AM
awesome! I love jalapenos… especially smoked chipotle jalapenos